Poker and Liquor

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Less Poker . . . More Liquor

So the next big trendy drink to sweep the restaurant industry is going to be, or already is, the Mojito. This is a drink made for me. Plenty strong with Rum, loaded with mint, not too sweet, with club soda's effervescence. It is a versatile drink, capable of handling various flavors and modifications. I haven't tried it yet, but I am imagining a Mojito with Pear Sake in it. The Mojito, I believe, has no rival as a mowing-the-grass beverage. Extremely refreshing!

If you didn't realize it by now, I love the Mojito.

3 oz Light Rum
Juice of 1 lime
5 fresh mint sprigs
2 tsp. sugar or simple syrup
Club Soda

Dissolve Sugar or simple syrup into lime juice and mint leaves. Mix well to crush mint flavor into lime/sugar. Add ice, rum, and top with club soda. Modify to your hearts content. Lower the sugar and add SoCo, I don't care. Might be great.

Another good thing with this beverage is that it makes a good drink for those watching their sugar intake, as you can easily use Splenda or Equal to make it. For many drinks out there, this is almost impossible. The wife has diabetes on one side of her family and hypoglycemia on the other . . . so she has sugar issues. Other than straight liquor, or Rum and Diet Coke, there are few choices.

So the Mojito is my current drink of choice.

**************

Here's my current Ice Cream Flavor: Ben & Jerry's Black & Tan

That's right, Guinness fueled ice cream ready for the likes of myself and Iggy. Try a pint and a pint for a Guinness Float. I always loved the creaminess of stout, glad to Ben & Jerry capitalizing on it.

**************


I drank a very small amount on my recent canoe trip. I mean, eighteen guys around a campfire with as much alcohol as they could afford, I drank a small amount. By the way, Goldschlager and Red Bull is tasty.

And I busted the hell out of my knee when Shep tipped over the canoe , and threw me on a rock (I'll continue to place full blame on him, deserved or not). It needed stitches, but I was 4 hours from the take out point, 1 1/2 more hours from my wallet and dry clothes, then a good hour and a half to the nearest hospital. By then, stitches would probably be too late. So, I had a couple shots of tequila, a couple shots of Jagermeister, and a couple of Newcastle, and kept on falling out of the canoe, until we got back to the camp so I could grab a butterfly, band-aid, and begin drinking in earnest.

Today I found myself at the doctor for a tetanus and some antibiotics.

2 Comments:

At 2:50 PM GMT-5, Blogger Joaquin "The Rooster" Ochoa said...

On a super hot day nothing beats a cold beer...but a mojito is a close second to be honest. I love it when they put a strip of sugar cane as to stir it...word!

 
At 8:18 PM GMT-5, Blogger Joaquin "The Rooster" Ochoa said...

I like what you are doing over here at this blog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home