Poker and Liquor

Sunday, May 07, 2006

And cheese

We now finally have a Whole Foods here in G-Vegas. It is such a fantastic store, it makes you want to cook and eat and drink and eat and eat. Great timing. Like several other bloggers, I have been trying to drop a few pounds lately.

I've been rigorously excercising almost daily. I've been eating salads and grilled stuff, and I've been eating less stuff altogether. I rarely drink sodas anymore anyway, but on the occasion that I do, I've switched to Fresca. Snacks are few and far between.

What is the difficult part? Light beer. Less alcohol. I realize that alcohol has tons of calories, and I realize it deserves a fair amont of the blame for my weight. New rules: 1)No alcohol on weekdays. 2)No alcohol to excess. 3)Try to drink light beer. 4)No sweet mixed drinks.

That said, I've already taken a little liberty with my new rules. TheWife went to Whole Foods on Thursday, so when I walked in the door after work, she put a very thin slice of Manchego Cheese in my mouth and a glass of 2003 Las Rocas Garnacha in my hand. Now, I am much more of a gourmand (read: glutton) than a wine critic, but it would be hard to find a better 8 dollar red wine. It's a Spanish Grenache that with a bold, fruity taste, without being sweet. And let me tell you, it went extremely well with the manchego chese and my lack of eating and drinking.

I celebrated my rule breaking by drinking a couple Singha on Cinco de Mayo. That's right, due to a two hour wait at Sabrosos and similar wait times at other Mexican resturants, we had Thai food on Cinco de Mayo.

Since I was having a fun weekend already, TheWife and I met Shep and MsJackHammer, as well as another couple, Jason and Jen for Sushi. Shep and I (with a little help from TheWife) drank two teapots of Sake. I was fairly good with the food though, and for the first time ever--I left Irashai without feeling like I was going to explode. We then saw a great show at the Handlebar by Mac Arnold and the Plateful of Blues. That old blues guy can play a mean gas can. If you ever get the chance, go see Mac. Oh, and get a bottle of Las Rocas. And eat cheese.

6 Comments:

At 4:57 PM GMT-5, Blogger rakethetable said...

I heard about whole foods on the business channel the other day. With your plug and theirs, I may just have to invest in this company. I have no reference point - there is not one here in Georgia.

 
At 6:53 PM GMT-5, Blogger TeamScottSmith said...

Georgia? It's very similar to, (and I think they have even merged with) Harry's Farmers Market, which were in several locations in the greater Atlanta area.

 
At 7:15 AM GMT-5, Blogger Brad said...

I haven't been in the Whole Foods yet, but now I guess I have to since all the popular people are going there. The problem is that it's right behind the Cracker Barrel, and I always hear that Country Fried Steak calling me.

 
At 11:09 AM GMT-5, Blogger Joaquin "The Rooster" Ochoa said...

Whole Foods is the evil empire, man. Why go there...great produce but go to the farmers market instead...help the little guy out. CFS rocks, Otis...yummy! Too bad they don't serve it much here in the North...you know us Yankees. In any case, the night out on the town sounds fun and soup and salad for lunch...and run...I lost 20 lbs from that diet alone.

 
At 2:47 PM GMT-5, Blogger TeamScottSmith said...

In theory, I agree with you Joaquin, but in practice the local Farmers market isn't all that great. It also isn't always local. This day and age of international business has filtered into the local farmers markets. If you pay close attention, you will discover plenty of South American fruits and vegetables at the local farmers market.

When they do that kind of shit, you might as well go to Whole foods and buy from ecologically responsible organic farmers (wherever in the world they are).

And it's not like TONS of local workers aren't working right there in the store.

 
At 8:25 AM GMT-5, Blogger Joaquin "The Rooster" Ochoa said...

Hey, Shep and TeamSS. I was just at the little local deli you use to buy those great sandwiches from. You know, the place right up the street that you and your friend use to go and get a pop after a day of fishing. The little corner store that the grandma and grandpa own. Oh, it’s no longer there because they put a shell station across the street and that ran them out of business…oh…my bad...heee!heee! Down with the man...except Yankee baseball. I hear you about wholefoods, the selection is huge.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home